Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Stand - The Book


Wow, what a book! Definitely in my top 5 of Stephen King books. The original published version came out in 1978, but it was a much thinner version than the one Stephen had written - about 150,000 words thinner.

In the early 1990's Stephen was able to get his "Complete and Uncut" edition of 'The Stand' released. It was 500 pages more than the original publication, and it was the version that I happened to read first.

One day I was in the university bookstore looking for this one textbook that was supposed to be on reserve at the library but had somehow 'gone missing' when I stumbled upon the Complete and Uncut version of The Stand. I thought, "Awesome, I haven't gotten around to reading the first one so I'll just get this and read it instead."

The problem about this was I just couldn't put the bloody thing down - at all - and I was headed into my final exams and essays. I read it more than I studied. Fortunately for me I did fine on my exams and essays, the book allowed me to be more calm because it took my mind of everything but the story before me.

Anyway, about the story, - in a nutshell - it was awesome! The character development again was phenomenal. Stephen's ability to create believable characters facing unbelievable circumstances/situations is what makes him a great story teller, and what sells the reader on his story lines. I mean who ever has seen the hand of God? No one, yet when it appears in the story it is that much more believable because the characters we believe in, and have come to like, see it and are reacting to it.

Set in a post-apocalyptic America Stephen King weaves a classic tale of good vs evil where the apocalypse is not caused by a nuclear war but by a lab developed virus. The story is divided into 3 sections; the first section is really about the outbreak of the virus and the immediate aftermath, the second section deals with the gathering of forces (good and evil), while the last section is the final confrontation.

I know I have not gone into great detail about the story here, but there is a reason: I want you to read the book and discover it for yourself.

If you read only a few Stephen King books ever, then this one is a must for your list.

3 comments:

j said...

That is my all time favorite Stephen King book. I have read it about three times, and I love it. I found Stephen King early on in high school and read his work voraciously for a few years. I began collecting his books in hardback and had quite a few. I suddenly hit a point in my life where it was too scary for me. I think maybe I realized that the world was a pretty scary place on it's on without adding the brilliance of terror that is Stephen King. I miss his writing style and feel like there are very few people out there who can turn a word the way he does. I enjoyed looking through this site as well as your Nascar site. I live about an hour and a half from Talledega but unfortunatley I haven't ever gotten into the sport. Unusual for a Southerner...Jennifer

4ever3 said...

Jennifer,

I don't know how I missed your comment but I did. Sorry.

I too got into King's writing in High School, but never really left altogether, I just decreased the frequency in which I read his stuff - life just got too busy for a few years.

I have most of his books in HC, but I'm missing some key early ones and don't have the coin to get the good ones - maybe I'll win the lottery one day.

Thanks for the compliments about my sites, come on back in the future and I promise to reply to your comments faster.

Amelia said...

I am getting ready to start the book! Thanks for the review!!

*M*